Camp Scherman National Meet
March 19, 2017
Early Registration extended through Midnight Feb 26th!
Check us out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/1354251691298204/?active_tab=discussion
This is part of the CALIFORNIA ORIENTEERING WEEK - Twelve events in 16 days throughout California!
Welcome to the California Orienteering Week-Camp Scherman event page!
Camp Scherman is a Girl Scout camp nestled in the San Jacinto mountains of Southern California and is the site for this years Relay Champs, Temp-O Champs, Pre-O champs and a super fun Middle distance course. Complete with sleeping cabins, a main hall for gathering, two lakes, and plenty of great terrain, Scherman is a wonderful place to orienteer.
Besides lodging at the camp, there is camping is available just down the road at the Lake Hemet Campground and hotels/motels and bed/breakfast establishments can be found in the town of Idyllwild just about 25 minutes up the road.
Packet pick up will be available at the camp in Massey Hall on Friday March 17th from 6:00pm to 10:00pm and Saturday morning prior to the first starts.
Volunteers for start, finish, Trail-O timers and control pick up on Sunday are always greatly appreciated. Please indicate on your registration form if you are able to volunteer.
Fees are listed below as well as a link to the online registration. The deadline is Feb 25th at midnight. Late registration will be accepted for an additional cost up to March 11th at midnight. All online registration closes on March 11th. Day of registration will be available at an additional cost.
Meals are only guaranteed for those meeting the registration deadline of Feb 25th at midnight.
Contact the Meet Director: Kim Pincus
WHAT IS PRE-O?
Pre-O is the standard Trail-O format that most people are familiar with (if they've done any Trail-O). Competitors are given a set course and they travel only on trails. At designated spots they stop and look into the terrain to study groups of controls. The map has a single control circle on it and the competitor must determine which of the controls in the field matches the circle on their map. While there is an overall time limit for the course, in general you may spend time solving the problems and scoring is based on accuracy - who got the most right.
WHAT IS TEMP-O?
Temp-O involves similar problems to Pre-O but is time-based and focused on solving the problems quickly. In Temp-O you are seated at the designated viewing point where you can see the cluster of controls. You are given a set of maps and then a timer is started. You then cycle through the maps, solving each problem in turn. When you have solved the last map your time stops. Then you move on to the next station. Scoring is based on your time plus a time penalty for each incorrect answer.
HOW WILL THE RELAY WORK?
We have been approved for a rules waiver to allow 3-person teams and a 90 minute winning time.
There will be three championship categories: 3-point, 6-point, and 9-point teams.
Teams will run legs of the following difficulties in the order shown below:
OUSA Rules for relays and relay championships
CAN I DO BOTH TEMPO AND MIDDLE?
Yes! Those people competing in both will first do the TempO course and will have a start time for the Middle after they complete the TempO.
Sat AM - Trail Orienteering US PreO Championships
Sat PM - US Relay Championships
Sun AM - Trail Orienteering US TempO Championships
Sun AM - (concurrently with the TempO) Sanctioned Middle distance courses
Camp Scherman, Training Lodge, Mountain Center, CA (PreO Champs, Relay Champs, TempO Champs, Middle Distance)
|Saturday, March 18|
|9:00 am - 11:00 am||PreO Champs: Starts|
|3:00 pm||Relay Champs: Mass Start|
|Sunday, March 19|
|9:00 am - 11:00 am||TempO Champs: Starts|
|9:30 am - 12:00 pm||Middle Distance: Starts|
PreO Champs, Relay Champs, TempO Champs, Middle Distance
|From Northern areas and Los Angeles
* Take the I-10 east towards Palm Springs
* In Beaumont, exit the I-10 at the Hwy 79; turn RIGHT (south) at the end of the offramp towards Hemet.
* After 7.6 miles (Mile 7.6): Turn LEFT onto the Ramona Expressway.
* After 2.4 miles (Mile 10.0): Continue STRAIGHT on the Ramona Expressway (Hwy 79 goes south here).
* After 6.0 miles (Mile 16.0): Turn LEFT onto Hwy 74 (aka Florida Avenue). (Note: Hwy 74 is a mountain road with plenty of slow turns, and a few turnouts and passing lanes. Allow extra time for this next 14-mile stretch.)
* After 14.1 miles (Mile 30.1): Bear RIGHT (junction 243 to Idyllwild is to the left).
* After 8.5 miles (Mile 38.6): Turn LEFT onto Morris Ranch Road. (Fire station 53 is at the corner of Hwy 74 & Morris Ranch Road.)
* After 3.4 miles (Mile 42.0): Turn LEFT into the Training Center parking lot at Camp Scherman. The turn is after Thompson Road and after the Maintenance Center driveway. PLEASE PARK FACING OUT.
From Orange County and points south:
* Take the 91 east towards Riverside
* Take the I-15 south toward San Diego
* Take the second 79 exit to Indio, head east toward Aguanga
* Veer left at the 371 (21 miles)
* Turn left at the 74 (3.9 miles)
* Turn right on Morris Ranch Road (Fire station 53 is at the corner of Hwy 74 & Morris Ranch Road.)
* After 3.4 miles : Turn LEFT into the Training Center parking lot at Camp Scherman. The turn is after Thompson Road and after the Maintenance Center driveway. PLEASE PARK FACING OUT.|
All inclusive meals Sat breakfast,lunch dinner and Sunday Breakfast/lunch or Sat only dinner offered.
Meals are only guaranteed for registrants prior to the Feb 25th midnight deadline for early registration.
Adult $39/race $136/all four races OUSA/IOF member -$4/race
Junior $22/race $68/all four races OUSA/IOF member -$2/race
(2/26/17 to 3/11/17)
Adult $49/race $176/all four races OUSA/IOF member -$4/race
Juniors $27/race $88/all four races OUSA/IOF member -$2/race
Day of registration
Adult $59/race $216/all four races OUSA/IOF member -$4/race
Junior $35/race $120/all four races OUSA/IOF member -$2/race
1 night $40
2 nights $60
Bunk style. Please bring your own bedding. Men, Women and coed cabins available. All cabins sleep 6 people per side and there are 2 sides that share a large bathroom with showers. Please indicate on registration which type of cabin you will need.
$42 all inclusive (Breakfast, lunch, dinner Saturday. Breakfast and lunch Sunday)
$14 Dinner only Saturday
T-shirts (technical style) $22 Mens (S,M,L,XL) Womens (S,M,L) and youth L
Also recommended - Ontario International Airport, CA (ONT) - 77 miles away (1.5 to 3 hours depending on traffic).
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is 130 miles away, and with significantly more traffic along the route (could easily take 4 hours or more on a Friday evening).