Camp Scherman Training Weekend
October 12 - 14, 2012
Friday - Sunday
The training weekend is designed for orienteers of all experience levels, including complete novices, to improve their knowledge and skills The weekend begins Friday evening with check-in, socializing, and fun and games at the camp. Saturday is all day training appropriate to your skill level. Sunday will be a standard event. All on an A-meet quality map.
The training fee includes:
Cabin lodging for Friday and Saturday nights (bring your own bedding)
Five meals (Saturday breakfast through Sunday lunch)
Instruction and training activities on Saturday
Vampire-O on Saturday evening
Sunday entry and e-stick rental for orienteering event.
This year will run a little bit differently. Instead of having separate training groups based on level, we will have a variety of training activities available across levels. So each person can pick and choose which activities best suit their training needs.
After registering you will receive a link to a survey asking for more information about your training goals and what types of activities you are most interested in. This will help to plan an appropriate program for those registered for the weekend.
Earn your Level I Orienteering Coaching Certificate! Open to all experience levels. Participants will cover all of the basic skills and techniques of orienteering with an emphasis on teaching them and putting together training activities for others. Great for Scout Leaders, JROTC Instructors, and anyone wanting to plan training activities.
There is an additional materials fee for the coaching clinic. Earning the certificate requires that you participate in ALL sessions that are designated as coaching clinic sessions. This will be an intensive weekend to pack everything in. Participants will need to arrive by 8:00pm Friday night to begin the class. Some coaching class sessions may be open to other training weekend attendees, but some will be restricted to coaching clinic registrants only.
Looking for anyone with a great training activity that they want to share! To put together the weekend, we are offering a $20 discount off of the registration fee for each complete training activity that you host. A list of needed activities and ideas will be posted on the website. Activities may take the following forms:
⁃ Scheduled, Instructor-led outdoor activity - you would set up your activity and, at a specified time, meet with trainees to lead the activity.
⁃ Lecture or tabletop activity - At a specified time you would meet with trainees to share your expertise via a talk or presentation or present some indoor activity or game.
⁃ Self-serve activity - You would set up the activity and provide necessary supplies for the expected number of interested participants. They could pick up the supplies and instructions and lead themselves through the activity without needing supervision.
To volunteer to host one or more activities please email the Meet Director, Clare Durand
In order to prepare training materials, food, and cabin space, it is necessary that those attending the weekend workshops preregister.
Fees per person:
Early Registration (by September 17) $80
Standard Registration (by October 1) $100
Late Registration (call event director) $120
Coaching Clinic materials fee $10
(All registration for the Training Weekend is now closed.)
Camp Scherman, Training Lodge, Mountain Center, CA (Training Weekend, Vampire-O, Point-to-Point)
|Friday, October 12|
|6:00 pm - 10:00 pm||Training Weekend: Training Workshops|
|Saturday, October 13|
|9:00 am - 10:00 pm||Training Weekend: Training Workshops|
|8:30 pm - 9:30 pm||Vampire-O: Don't get bitten!|
|Sunday, October 14|
|9:30 am - 12:00 pm||Point-to-Point: Registration|
|10:00 am - 12:00 pm||Point-to-Point: Starts|
Training Weekend, Vampire-O, Point-to-Point
|From Northern areas and Los Angeles
* Take the I-10 east towards Palm Springs
* In Beaumont, exit the I-10 at the Hwy 79; turn RIGHT (south) at the end of the offramp towards Hemet.
* After 7.6 miles (Mile 7.6): Turn LEFT onto the Ramona Expressway.
* After 2.4 miles (Mile 10.0): Continue STRAIGHT on the Ramona Expressway (Hwy 79 goes south here).
* After 6.0 miles (Mile 16.0): Turn LEFT onto Hwy 74 (aka Florida Avenue). (Note: Hwy 74 is a mountain road with plenty of slow turns, and a few turnouts and passing lanes. Allow extra time for this next 14-mile stretch.)
* After 14.1 miles (Mile 30.1): Bear RIGHT (junction 243 to Idyllwild is to the left).
* After 8.5 miles (Mile 38.6): Turn LEFT onto Morris Ranch Road. (Fire station 53 is at the corner of Hwy 74 & Morris Ranch Road.)
* After 3.4 miles (Mile 42.0): Turn LEFT into the Training Center parking lot at Camp Scherman. The turn is after Thompson Road and after the Maintenance Center driveway. PLEASE PARK FACING OUT.
From Orange County and points south:
* Take the 91 east towards Riverside
* Take the I-15 south toward San Diego
* Take the second 79 exit to Indio, head east toward Aguanga
* Veer left at the 371 (21 miles)
* Turn left at the 74 (3.9 miles)
* Turn right on Morris Ranch Road (Fire station 53 is at the corner of Hwy 74 & Morris Ranch Road.)
* After 3.4 miles : Turn LEFT into the Training Center parking lot at Camp Scherman. The turn is after Thompson Road and after the Maintenance Center driveway. PLEASE PARK FACING OUT.|
|Courses: 1 Hour Vampire|
|Courses: White, Yellow, Orange, Brown, Red|